But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God.
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.
Away In A Manger
Away in a manger, no crib for a bed,
The little Lord Jesus laid down his sweet head.
The stars in the sky looked down where he lay,
The little Lord Jesus asleep in the hay.
The cattle are lowing, the baby awakes,
But little Lord Jesus no crying he makes.
I love Thee, Lord Jesus, look down from the sky
And stay by my cradle til morning is nigh.
Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray.
Bless all the dear children in thy tender care,
And take us to heaven, to live with Thee there.
The following are just a few ideas to complete the activity today, but the main point is to support foster and adoption families or to help children who might not have the ideal family situations or widows with no nearby family who might be struggling financially and/or emotionally. Any activity that will also pave the way for a conversation with your kids about adoption or taking care of the “orphans and widows in their affliction” will fit in nicely.
- If you have any foster parents in your church family or circle of friends, consider asking them if there is anything you can do to bless them. If there is something that they need, and your family can help out, consider helping as a family.
- If the foster parents you know say they don’t need anything, make a list of all the foster parents in your church or in your circle of friends and acquaintances and pray for them.
- If you have a foster agency nearby, call and ask if they need any donations.
- If you have a pregnancy resource center close by or a ministry in your church that helps single moms who decide not to have an abortion, consider donating items, either new and gently used items you own that you could pass on or supplies from the store. Have your kids help with ideas and choices with the babies and mothers in mind to whom these donations will go.
- Another idea is to put together a care package for widows in your church, specifically ones who don’t have much family around and struggle financially or with loneliness.
This activity will require a little more thought and planning, but you can get the ball rolling today, and complete it throughout the rest of the 25 days, and it will be totally worth it!
Tired Mom Hack: One of the easiest, but still very meaningful ideas is to participate in a charitable program that is already in place like Toys for Tots, Project Angel Tree, Operation Christmas Child (Samaritan’s Purse), etc. Talk to your kids about the children who will receive the gifts, how Jesus loves them, and how we should pray for them.